This blog got me in the mood for travel again (it happens at the smallest trigger, as we know) and then VJ’s Travellogues got me in the mood for those nostalgic nomadic days, when life under the sky was ……well….. how I knew to be……. This blog got me thinking. What is it that I find essential when travelling? I guess it depends on my mood while travelling. I’m a “roughing it type” dreamer. A true nomad at heart. Many “essentials don’t mean much to me. So what is it that I cannot head outdoors without?
For me, the answers were easy:
- backpack – yeah sure
- water bottle – non-negotiable. I drink unbelievable quanitites of water. I rarely buy, unless I don’t like the taste. My strong stomach manages fine on most tap-water. Refill and enjoy.
- cap – for the sun
- torch – for the dark
- multi-purpose knife – this really is invaluable
- a good book. Ideally something that matches the mood of my travel
- appropriate clothing (with plenty of useful pockets) - well – I’m really into minimal. Not in terms of coverage, but certainly in terms of quantity of spares. Wash, reuse. I can live with the rare times I end up wearing unclean clothes.
- the usual toothbrush, soap, etc. Creams I often pack, but rarely use.
- Camera still, video or both.
- pen and paper
- Wear shoes carry floaters (if needed)
That’s it. Enough! I have a camera bag which is a backpack (the size of a day pack). I have been known to regularly get my act for a week packed inside it, along with the camera, if I’m not going to a very cold place.
The lighter my luggage, the better I feel able to enjoy the place. I can simply park the whole thing on my shoulders and be comfortable all day, without worrying either about luggage, or the weight [:)]